Le Haras du Pin, 1930
Signed lower right
Chinese ink on paper
19 7/8 x 26 in, 50.5 x 66 cm
Dufy was a keen frequenter of the racecourses in France and England and took delight in depicting all equestrian scenes. In these works Dufy found the ideal subject to witness...
Dufy was a keen frequenter of the racecourses in France and England and took delight in depicting all equestrian scenes. In these works Dufy found the ideal subject to witness the fashions and tastes of high class contemporary life. In ‘Le Haras du Pin’ Dufy merges his love of landscapes, architecture and people. It is a is a joyful drawing that exemplifies the spontaneity, vitality and sense of adventure in the artist’s mature style.
Located in Normandy, Le Haras du Pin is the oldest and one of the most highly regarded stud farms in France. Tired of the royal stud near Sain-Germain-en-Laye, on the outskirts of Pairs, in 1914 King Louis XIV ordered his principal equerry François Gédéon de Garsault to find a new location – the commune of Haras du Pin. Composed of 2,471 acres, nestled in the middle is the grand chateau that can be seen in Dufy’s drawing. Not just a breeding ground for royal horses, the stud farm also bred horses for the military and has hosted numerous competitions in show jumping and dressage over the centuries.
Aside from his drawings, Dufy also created a number of paintings and gouaches of Le Haras du Pin, examples of which are now in such museums as the Centre Pompidou, Paris (‘Le Haras du Pin’, 1939). The present ink drawing was previously in the collection of Nico Mazaraki, who Dufy painted a portrait of in 1932.
Nico Mazarki, Paris
Tardieu and Dr. A. Roudinesco, Dessins de Raoul Dufy, Lusanne, Mermod, 1958,
pl.51, p.83, illus. (titled
La sortie de chasse)
work is accompanied by a certificate of authenticity numbered S19-9512, signed
by Mme Fanny Guillon-Laffaille and dated 22 November 2019. It will be included
in the forthcoming Dufy catalogue raisonné supplement of drawings currently
being prepared by Guillon-Laffaille.